Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bringing Food to Class: How to Have Your Dinner and Eat it Too

When I started my life as a grad student, I knew I couldn't afford to eat dinner out all the time on nights I had class from 6:00 to 9:45. But my options seemed limited. Sandwiches were a sensible, frugal, and easy possibility, but I've just never craved a sandwich past lunchtime. I like a little variety in my dinners. Not peanut butter and jelly.

But in my year of experience, I've come far. I've learned that I have options. And so do you.

You can have a truly satisfying meal without resorting to takeout or a lunchtime redux. Here are some alternatives to your run-of-the-mill brown bag lunch or dinner.

  • Try bento. Sushi is definitely an exception to my hot-food-for-dinner rule. I'm not suggesting anyone attempt to hand-roll their own maki before rushing off to class, but consider the bento box for creative, varied Japanese-style meals. Bento boxes are widely available and because they're so small and use space so efficiently, they can be a great way to transport your meals. You can find them for around $10 if you shop around, and they're hardy and more eco-friendly than paper bags.
If you do try packing your meals in bento boxes, there are a lot of sites out there with suggestions and recipes for bento box meals, such as Just Bento and Lunch in a Box.

Even if you don't want to buy a bento box, you can use some of the strategies and recipes there to think beyond the usual sandwich or salad.

Image credit: "bento" by uberculture. Flickr Creative Commons.
  • Get a thermos. Think of it as an investment. You'll save so much money if you use it regularly rather than eating out. And you'd be surprised-- thermoses aren't just for drinks or soup anymore. This summer I bought an Aladdin lunch-and-go container for $12.99 at Target, and it's revolutionized my class nights. All I have to do is pre-heat the container (I put it in the microwave for a few minutes), fill it with delicious just-cooked food (or just-reheated leftovers), and it will stay warm for hours. This is your best bet for hot food when you don't have access to a microwave.
An added bonus of having a thermos is that you can make your own tea or coffee at home and save the money you would have spent on a hot drink at Starbucks or Dunkin'. (And if you must have your steamed milk or caramel drizzle, at least we know how to get around some of that expense.)

No comments:

Post a Comment