Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tweets, Updates and Posts: Keeping in Touch in the 21st Century



Graduate school takes me far away from family and friends, and keeps me busier than ever. Luckily, keeping in touch these days is a snap using social media.

  • Twitter equals texting online without the obligatory phone plan. Those obsessed with this microblogging medium blast off an obscene number of 140 character tweets a day. The world does not need to know that you brushed your teeth at 11:45 pm in Boston, MA, on August 6, 2010, but tweeting is a good way to briefly inform people of the flourishes in your life.

  • Facebook: Most take the time to check out other people’s business on Twitter and even more so on Facebook. Once relegated to college students, this online community has expanded to include everyone who wants to join, among them a few of my family members as well as the various family members of my friends. These connections are often awkward, but when trying to keep in touch, Facebook has its advantages. For example, when my parents compare notes on who talked to me last, my 16-year-old brother (a Facebook junkie) will casually mention one of my status updates that popped up in his newsfeed. Sign of life confirmed. (Which also teaches us a valuable lesson. If you want to stay hidden from family, stay off Facebook.)

  • Blogging, the lazy emailers grace: I love blogging. Not only do I get to be as creative, wacky and outrageous as I want, I can reach out and touch a million people (read: two dedicated readers) with just one post, a glorious departure from the laborious email. You could cut and paste to save time with emails, but you’ll waste even more tailoring each to the intended recipient. Instead, sign up for a free blog on WordPress or Blogger. Personalize it with music, photos, videos and other interactive media. Post some details about your week and knock out your “must email” list with one click. 

Image Source URL: http://kozinets.net/archives/396

    No comments:

    Post a Comment