Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shopping Guide for Beginning Grads: These are a few of my favorite things

As important as it is to be frugal in grad school, it's also important to eliminate stress wherever you can. I'm a big believer in buying the right tool for the job, and these items are some of the best buys I've made in trying to simplify my life.

Air Mattress: because futons are so undergrad!
Grad school can be stressful and a well timed visit from friends or family can help restore your sanity. Making your visitors crash on the floor or sofa (if you have the luxury of space to accommodate a sofa) will pretty much pretty any return visits, however. The price of an air mattress is far outweighed by the knowledge that you can make your guests comfortable and welcome.
  • My tips: Avoid air mattresses that have a built in pillow bump, which do nothing but give you a crick in your neck. Mattresses with electronic pumps are also unnecessary (you can just use a blow dryer set on cool), but mattresses with built in manual pumps are really handy for getting it to just the right firmness. Also, when you make up the mattress for your guests place another blanket between the bottom sheet and the mattress itself; this just makes it more cozy and gets rid of that vinyl feeling.
  • My pick: Wenzel Full Insta-bed with Comfort Adjust Pump (Amazon $39.99)
Functional Bag: because a crooked spine is rarely sexy
A backpack? As an adult? Yeah, I know, I felt the same way. I crammed by laptop, books, notepads, and various other accouterments into my purse
for my first semester—until it started crushing my spine. I then gave up and made the adult decision to go for functionality over fashion, and I’m really glad I did. It’s great for toting around all your class stuff, lugging
groceries home, or packing for a weekend escape.
  • My tips: Think about how you’re going to use the bag first: Will you be carrying a laptop? Snacks? Water bottle? Sunglasses? Pens, pencils, PDAs, and such? Then find a bag that will meet all of those needs. I love Dakine bags because they have a ton of differnt types and styles, but are consistently high quality and very user friendly.
  • My pick: Dakine Women’s Academy Pack (Moosejaw $29.99-$45.99)
Water Bottle: one that you’ll actually use
This is just a practical must have. Having a water bottle on hand keeps you hydrated and saves you from buying bottled water which helps your wallet and the environment
  • My tips: Make sure it’s leak-proof! I mean really leak proof—like trust it in your bag with your laptop leak proof. It’s also helpful if it has a built-in clip to attach it to your bag, so you don’t have to carry it around. My pick is a BPA-free plastic water bottle (for more info on BPA-free items check out Nalgene’s site); however, you may want to opt for a metal version,which is even more eco-friendly since it isn’t made with non-renewable petroleum products.
  • My pick: Contigo AutoSeal BPA Free Hydration Bottle (Amazon $9.59)
Shelving Cubes: classier than plastic crates but holds
just as much crap
As a grad student, you’re probably going to moving a few times during and after your studies, and you’ll be able to alter these shelves to fit any space or decor you run into. They also come apart easily and stack neatly to take up less space during the actual move. They’re great because you can toss a ton of stuff into them, slide them shut, and look totally organized even when you’re not. I’ve used mine for an entertainment center, bathroom storage, an entryway bench, shoe storage, bookshelves, and a filing cabinet.
  • My tips: Comparison shop; you’ll probably be making more than one trip to numerous big-box stores during your preparations, and most of them will have a version of these shelves. Just make a note of their prices so you can get the best deal. Price the canvas drawers separately because one store may have the best deal on the shelves while another has a better deal on the drawers themselves (the shelves and drawers are typically a foot square but double check just to be sure). You can also buy additional shelves to make new configurations in the future without having to redo the entire shelving unit.
  • My pick: ClosetMaid 6 Cube Organizer (Target $49.99)
For more tips on simplifying the space you live in, check out Stefania's Home Sweet Home: Five Steps to Making your tiny studio Feel Like HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment