Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I’m In a Relationship With my Crock Pot

I might sound like a middle aged women when I say this but regardless: I am in love with my Crock Pot. Being a student and especially a graduate student means your time is precious. Between balancing school, work, and some semblance of a social life, one of the last things I have time for at night is deciding what to cook for dinner.

I’m not one of those people that hates to cook either, I actually love it. You can usually find me on a weekend evening enjoying a glass of merlot and trying out a new recipe. But during the week, I really start to miss the old days of when my mother would ask me what I wanted for dinner. Consequently I was living the dream back then and never knew it until I put on my “big girl pants”, got a one-bedroom apartment and started graduate school.

This is just about the time I discovered the crock-pot and was introduced to it’s magic. Not only can you plan ahead and make it in the morning before work or school, a delicious meal can be waiting for you when you get home.

One easy and delicious meal to make in Crock Pot is chili. This is a great fall or winter meal, but with a side of corn bread I can enjoy it anytime of the year.

Black Bean Chili with Beef

Source: Southernfood.about.com

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cooked black beans

1 lb. stew beef, cubed

2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped green peppers

1/2 cup diced green chile peppers

3 tbsp. tomato paste

3 to 4 beef bouillon cubes, or beef base

1/4 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. minced garlic

1/2 tsp. salt and pepper

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or mild Cheddar cheese

Preparation:

Brown stew beef in bacon drippings or oil with onion and green pepper. Combine all ingredients except cheese and cook 6 to 8 hours on low. Serve hot in bowls with a little cheese sprinkled over each serving.

Another delicious meal that can be served year round is chicken with potatoes. Also a good tip when using a Crock Pot is to give yourself enough time. Most of the recipes usually need between 5 and 7 hours to cook.

Easy Chicken With Potatoes

Source: Southernfood.about.com

Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

1/2 cup Italian salad dressing

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or mix basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, and garlic powder to equal same)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

4 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges or thick slices

Preparation:

Place chicken in bottom of Crock Pot. Sprinkle with half of the Italian dressing, spices, and the grated cheese. Put the potatoes on top or around the chicken. Sprinkle with the rest of the dressing, spices, and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment