Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Craigslist IS Your Friend

When I started graduate school I knew I needed a job. It sounds like an easy request but it seems to be an issue for students who are trying to juggle multiple obligations. I needed a job that would be flexible and convenient. It may sound like I was simply demanding the impossible but these jobs do exist…if you know where to look.

I had never known Craigslist to offer anything other than used furniture or a headache. Yet a few months prior to moving to Boston, I happened to stumble across the job ads. I decided that while living in Beacon Hill, working as a nanny would fit the criteria of my demands (flexible hours, under the table pay, no extensive resume required etc). So when I found an ad posted by a mother of two looking for a nanny, I decided what the heck.

I was apprehensive at first because Craigslist didn’t have an immaculate reputation and recent news stories had shown what happened when people abused the openness of the Craigslist model (So just to be safe, my dad walked me to the interview).

My Craigslist story is one of success. I ended up working for a great family who paid me extremely well and was more than accommodating to my school schedule. But that’s not all that nannying in the city offered me. In addition to some home cooked meals, I was able to network with well-connected people…and being new to the city, this felt like the golden ticket. The family also recommended me to other families that needed a part-time nanny. The community I live and work in is very tight knit and not to mention, made up of families who are dying for someone who is responsible and trustworthy. All it took was one good recommendation and 6 months later I am a nanny for multiple families and have great contacts from people involved with anything from finance to publishing.

For many, using Craigslist seems to be a “hit or miss” experience. I think the most important rule is to follow your instincts. If something feels wrong then it probably is. If you ever plan to sell anything, the site warns you to be wary of money orders, money transfers etc. In my case, it proved to solve my unemployment problem in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment