Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Eating Out For Less


Although you may be a poor graduate student, you still want to go out to eat a nice meal from time to time without spending a fortune. Before I discovered the websites Groupon and Buy With Me, I thought eating out cheaply meant limiting myself to the value menu at a fast food restaurant.

Every day, Groupon and Buy With Me offer deals on local restaurants and other businesses in Boston and other major cities. If a set number of people agree to purchase the discounted meal or service, the deal will go into effect. By purchasing one of these coupons, you get to try a great restaurant that you would have never dared go to before.

A couple of weeks ago I used one of the Groupons I had purchased to treat my boyfriend and I to a nice dinner at a place a short distance from my apartment. My pomegranate martini was delicious, my grilled chicken paillard was tasty, his burger and fries were made with organic, local ingredients and the best part: we only paid $25 for a $50 meal!

I eagerly await the morning emails I receive from Groupon and Buy With Me to see what other great restaurant I might be encouraged to try. To receive daily emails, all you have to do is visit the sites and sign up for the e-newsletter offering deals for your city. Even if I don't purchase these community coupons very often, I enjoy reading the descriptions of each business (Groupons' are especially witty).

Another way you can go out to eat at a more upscale restaurant without breaking the bank is to take advantage of restaurant week. The classier restaurants in Boston and other cities will get together and offer customers meals at a discounted price one week a year. However, it can be difficult to get a table, so make sure you make reservations far enough in advance.

You don't have to postpone eating out at a quality restaurant until after you have your masters degree: splurge on the occasional Groupon or Buy With Me deal to enjoy your grad school experience even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment