Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How My Hectic Schedule and Tight Budget Feed My Food Dilemma

I never thought it would happen to me—last week, I developed a Starbucks habit. And it's not even about the coffee. Between work during the day and class in the evening, I have to eat. My evening classes completely block out my dinner time too, so I often find myself desperately needing an 8 p.m. snack. I don't have much time to hunt down something healthy and inexpensive, and the options near my grad school's campus are severely limited.

Lately, that means I stop in Starbucks for a quick snack or between-meals meal. A smoothie, some chocolate-covered graham crackers, maybe an egg salad sandwich if I'm really hungry.

This is a terrible habit that has to stop. I have class two nights a week, and eating out this often is terrible for my budget. Last week alone, I spent $18.28 on food I could've avoided buying if I'd just brought enough food from home.

This week, I have a new plan. Packing just a lunch isn't enough food to get me through my work day and four hours of class, so I'm keeping a variety of food on hand all day. Here's my favorite stay-full kit I've tried so far:
my graduate school stay-full snack foods: yogurt, apple sauce, cheese, granola, and nuts
  • Yogurt. I have access to a fridge at work, and a cup of yogurt is an excellent mid-morning snack. And mid-morning snacks are good because they keep me from getting extra hungry at lunchtime and overspending on additional food.
  • Apple sauce. Fruit is great snack, and apple sauce doesn't bruise or smash easily. It also doesn't have to stay refrigerated.
  • Cheese. Think individually wrapped pieces, like string cheese or those little Babybel wheels.
  • Granola. I need something crunchy I don't have to eat with a spoon. Turns out I like granola, and the chunky kinds are the easiest to eat without making a crumbly mess.
  • Nuts. If I have some almonds, walnuts, or cashews on hand, I'll probably toss some in with the granola. However, nuts can be expensive, so this isn't an everyday thing.
I've found that the best foods to take to work and class are ones that come in individual servings and are easy to transport in my messenger bag. However, watch out for 100-calorie packs! If you're hungry, you want some calories and plenty of protein, fiber, and carbs. Tiny 100-calorie packs will not make you feel full.

No comments:

Post a Comment